© Fiddlers Cricket Club 2017

Claude Lawford (Bernard's brother-in-law) remembered playing with Farnham Royal and had some amusing stories to tell, having played farily regularly until the early 1950's. He recalls playing under his first captain, Major Coad, who occupied 'Lawlands', the large house adjacent to the War Memorial overlooking the cricket ground. He was a very good wicket-keeper, and a strict disciplinarian on the field. Claude recounts that, on one occasion, the opening bat for Farnham Royal, hooked a very fast short rising ball, which sailed over the square leg boundary, breaking a windor in the Major's house. When 'Pudding Dean' was eventually dismissed, the captain called him aside and asked him to replace the glass.

At the time, the outfield was cut by horse-drawn gang mowers. About 1930, he acquired a Bull Nosed Morris Cowley and after some experiments, found that the mowers could be pulled by the car. From then on the field was cut every Saturday morning, completing the job before time.

Sunday cricket was not always allowed on the ground, as was common to most pre-war clubs. Joe Shave had discussions with the Rector, The Rev. Charles Warner, and it was eventually agreed that matches could be played on Sundays provided they finished at 6.30pm. The first every Sunday game played at Farnham Royal took place on 21st May 1951 against the Fiddlers Cricket Club.



The First Sunday cricket ever played at Farnham Royal (hence the vicar in the middle)
Sunday 27th May 1951

Memories of Farnham Royal